[TriLUG] The great email server build: was status of email

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 21:56:52 EST 2002

Christian J Hedemark wrote:

> Chris, that might be a lateral move for you (or worse).  Those Cyrix
> processors can't be compared to real Pentiums clock for clock.  I've got a
> pile of Pentium 100 and 133 machines here, and one Cyrix 233.  There is not
> a noticeable difference between the Intel 133 and the Cyrix 233.

Hmmm...that's good to know...guess that wouldn't help me, then.
I wish they'd list CPUs by Mips, MFlops, or something more
useful than MHz.

> relative performance of the box.  RH7 takes advantage of faster machines and
> works well but I've been largely disappointed with how well it "scales down"
> on older hardware.  This is fair, though, since I don't think RH is making
> any $$$$ off of marketing towards people who hoard old obsolete hardware.
> At the risk of going off topic, I've had much better luck running OpenBSD on
> older machines like that.

Somewhat to my suprise, it actually runs reasonably well.  If someone
was looking for a good home for a P166, I'd be happy to give it a good
home.  I just double-checked and it has 128M (I don't remember upgrading
it, but I guess I must have).  I'd like to run Tomcat and Postgress on
it...which may very well be too much for it.  I should point out that
all the services I host on it are _very_ lightly used.

Chris

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com