[TriLUG] status of email

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Jan 25 23:11:10 EST 2002

[2002-01-25 22:29] Andrew C. Oliver said:
| > +1 On using free software.  You can check out all the rants you want
| > here (http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb)   and that about
| covers
| > it.  I feel pretty strongly about this, and I will help at any time to
| > install & maintain either sendmail or postfix as a free solution.  I
| > really don't think that the hardware is going to have much trouble
| with
| > at Celeron or higher processor levels..
|
| Great.. . A dedicated fanatic working under the threat of people getting
| frustrated and installing *what works* regardless of whether its *free*
| is quite possibly ideal!  The motivation comes built in...I like it!

I'd vote for sendmail; I've too been scarred [sic] to learn another
mailer ;-)

<twocents whose="mine" tone="seriously">
  I'd not want to use qmail.  I just spent 30 minutes reading over
  his mailing list, and I'd not want to turn there for support :-(
  IMO, the efficiency of a support network is /more/ important
  than the efficiency of the software in use.

  I've used postfix a bit, but it lacks some "features" that sendmail
  has because of its more secure architecture.  If you can live without
  those features, and the spotty documentation of postfix, it /is/ a
  very capable mailer.

  Exim is pretty nice, AFAIK, but is not great at handling high loads.
</twocents>

| Like I said...the power of "those that DO" versus philosophize.  We're
| close to having the pieces to put together.  I guess once that's done
| all we'll need is me (if I can help otherwise I'll be happy to just
| collect/deliver the parts)/you/a person with sufficient karma to meet at
| Inflo. (enflo? sp?) next weekend and make this puppy hum.  As long as it
| is stable and reasonably fast its good.

I can give a day next weekend to the cause.

| If someone has a webmail solution they can install on it as well, that
| would be truly awesome.
|
| Jon, are they (inflo) open on the weekend or do we need to make
| arrangements to show up during the week?
|
| Anyone have an opinion on the minimum processor and speed we need?

not very much.  most of the performance needed will be in the disks.
Perhaps we should pool cash and buy one of these (IBM's smokinest ide
drive)
  http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/a13190.html
for about $100 (40G), or $120 for the (60G) drive.  I'll kick in
$50.  Used hard drives are /scary/.  Anyone willing to head up collection
and ordering (suggest one of steering@)?  I'll drop my $50 tomorrow.

  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman