[TriLUG] status of email

Errol Casey errol-list-trilug at boo-bear.com
Fri Jan 25 23:17:09 EST 2002

> I personally use qmail and like it quite a bit.  I haven't
> yet found any other mail program that will do everything
> qmail will (if anyone can suggest something, please do).
> And qmail rocks on underpowered hardware.

I also use qmail; I'm having to give up my cable modem so I will
not be handling my own mail server. Lucky for me, I have access
to a box that has qmail so I can continue to use it's advantages.

One of which is a great program called TMDA, that is excellent at
filtering spam. Might be something the LUG wants to consider.

http://tmda.sourceforge.net

The developer actually has modified it to work with exim, postfix,
and even recently sendmail (via procmail as mda).  There seems to
be a lot of active development on TMDA. But it has to be run on
the "mail server", as opposed to on client machines.

Just another suggestion to add to the discussion.

Unfortunately, I will be moving from the triangle but hope to stay
active with the group.  I would be proud to have a trilug email address.

Another source for mail space might be fastmail.fm; they provide pop and
imap access free, currently. Have a decent web front end if you need one.
I expect them to start charging later this year for > 5MB of space. But I
use it as a backup mail source, in case my primary one has network problems.
I forward my pobox.com address to two mail servers.

--
Not all gifts are free; some have hidden price tags.