[TriLUG] The great email server build: was status of email

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 10:58:14 EST 2002

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Weeel... it sounds like you have an acceptable system that with a couple
> NIC cards and the hard drive you've got an already working system....how
> do you feel about it becoming an email server?

It already is an email server and I host several of my
domains on it (via dns2go).  It's a worn-out tired old
machine...with irregular (at best) backups - so I would
not want to host any important email/content on it.
I think the second HD (400M) is almost 8 years old.
The primary (850M) is only slightly newer.

Anyway - it is running Postfix - and I can attest to
the ease of installation/configuration.  I had _no_
previous experience with mail servers (not even sendmail).
I had heard about security problems with sendmail...and
the literature I found agreed that Postfix was both
more secure and easy to use.  After buying a good book,
I had Postfix up and running in a few hours.  Mailman
took slightly longer (much learning about suids, etc.).

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com