[TriLUG] status of email

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sat Jan 26 14:46:15 EST 2002

> Quota's are good.  I also have a mail-eatting script that looks at the
size
> of the mailbox and prunes out messages till the mailbox is within
specs -
> or all the mail in the box is less than 5 days old... whichever comes
first.

> If we are running IMAP, we don't want a script like that, but if we
are
> running POP, it comes in handy.

> Personally I want IMAP and as much storage as I can get (about 50Mb).
> help that happen, I'm willing to kick-in $50 towards a new HD.

> If you install the latest Cooker on the box (Mandrake), you'll make me
> happy man...  ;-).  I'm happy to lend some time to the project if you
need
> it.  I live on the Western edge of Apex near FV.

Cool if you're able to do the mandrake install thats cool with me.  I've
not yet installed Mandrake -- does it have command line upgrade scripts
(like up2date on redhat)?  We really shouldn't install X on an email
server.  Are you sufficiently blessed to get us into Inflow?  (I'm
assuming they wouldn't let us just go waltzing in there)

I'd like IMAP as well but I'm flexible as long as its reliable.

By my calculations

8gb - 1gig overhead (overestimated)
7000mb/50mb = 180 users (and yes I know its actually more like
1024..etc, those who feel the need for precision/converting between
drive manufacturer megabytes and *real megabytes* etc are welcome to
correct me)

should be enough for now.  If someone is able to help Kevin then we can
use his processor, otherwise I'll start collecting parts from folks and
then will order a PII or PIII.

Thanks,

Andy

--