[TriLUG] grub (my first grub experience)

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sat Jan 26 22:10:45 EST 2002

Okay, I read the info page and the web version of it..  I'm too dense.

The examples are poor (they show only one).  I've got two kernels, I
want to boot one and yet still have the option to boot the old one if it
turns out I compiled a toaster.

Here is what I put in grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/sda1 hda=ide-scsi
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.17)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17 ro root=/dev/sda1 hda=ide-scsi

In my new kernel I've compiled my scsi driver into the kernel (its
unlikely the kernel will have the opportunity to unload this module
cause I kind use my hard drive quite a bit)....so I don't need (AFAIK)
an initial ram disk.

is this the right format for this file?  Anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com