[TriLUG] grub (my first grub experience)

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sun Jan 27 01:22:20 EST 2002

On Saturday, January 26 2002, Tanner Lovelace said:
> On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 22:55, Matt Matthews wrote:
> > On the topic of grub...
> >
> > What are the specifications for the XPM that can be used for the background?
> > I'd like to replace it with my own background, but my XPM doesn't look
> > right...it looks like half-resolution (i.e. fat pixels) with wonky colors.
> > Seems to imply that I'm using more data per pixel than I should.
> >
> > I guess, more specifically, what bit depth? 256 colors? I guess I'll just try
> > that, but it should be documented somewhere, no? :^)
>
> Here are the lines from my xpm file:
>
> /* XPM */
> static char * splash_only_xpm[] = {
> "640 480 16 1",
> [...]
>
> So, 640x480 at 16 colors looks to work.

Actually, 14 colors; you only get the full 16 to work with if you make
sure one is white and one is black or change the foreground and
background colors also in the grub.conf file.

> Note that I believe only RedHat has patched their grub to
> support graphics files.  I know for a fact, Mandrake hasn't.

Actually, the patch is from Conectiva.

> I applied the Redhat patch to my Mandrake grub and it worked
> quite well, though.  (You may be asking why not just use
> Redhat's grub?  The mandrake one supports XFS which is the
> filesystem I use.)

Which has now been upstreamed and is in 0.91.  Goody :)

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D