[TriLUG] Avoid Red Hat Press books

Beth Ellison leonardbernst55 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:25:19 EST 2002

Yo List,

There are some new Linux books on the market from "Red Hat Press" and they
are not good, IMNSHO. Red Hat does have a contract with this Hungry Minds
Publishing company, but the books were not written by Red Hat employees.
Some of us in the documentation department were hired to do technical edits.
We did. They paid no attention to our comments. There is information in both
books that is just perfectly incorrect.

The book titles are Red Hat Linux Networking and System Administration, Red
Hat Linux Survival Guide, Red Hat Linux Security and Optimization, and Red
Hat Linux X Internet Server.

Here is their press release:

http://lwn.net/daily/red-hat-press.php3

I had a long talk with one of our IS guys Friday and he was disgusted at how
much incorrect and/or misleading information is in the Security book. I did
the technical edit for the Survival Guide and told them about the new config
tools, the new printer tool, etc. and they paid no attention to what I said.
They explain linuxconf. :|  They talk about LILO but not GRUB. :| I don't
understand why they paid technical editors to proof the books, but decided
to pay no attention to our comments.

I'm just trying to explain the deal on these books in case any of you find
them tempting. I'm embarrassed that my name appears in one of them.

Beth