[TriLUG] Re: RH 7.2 bash 2.05.8(1) whacked?

Paul Iadonisi pri.ghnlug at iadonisi.to
Mon Feb 4 15:27:12 EST 2002

  By design.  Yes, however, it is whacked.  This argument came up on another
mailing list I'm on.  It basically goes like this: is thirty years of Unix
history the right way to sort (lexical), or several centuries of normal
language sorting the right way (alphabetical).
  It is screwy, IMO, but I'm trying to get used to it myself, because I
know it's what non-techie users expect.  I'ld rather not try to explain
to them about ascii codes and why all uppercase characters come before
all lowercase characters.  But it really screws up the typical Unix custom
of naming files like README and INSTALL to appear first in a directory
listing.
  But as Paul Lussier said, just set your LANG to "C" in /etc/sysconfig/i18n
to get the Unix behavior you're used to.