[TriLUG] wireless question (again).

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Feb 5 10:19:30 EST 2002

H Brett Bolen [wingedlizard at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> Who knows *somebody* that running wireless with linux?

I'll be there this week.

> What hardware do *they* use?
>
> Is Linksys a good choice?

I'll be buying the Linksys WMP11 PCI card to link up with the
Airport in our new Apple PowerBook.

> What wireless router/basestation have the best range?  best Wep
> under linux?

Depends.  Get one that you can easily add external antennas and
it doesn't really matter:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/cable_adapter.html

As for Wep, don't bother.  Run some sort of VPN.  Since OSX
doesn't have IPSEC, I'm planning on PPP over stunnel.

Mike
--
"Yeah it is! Cause he's bakin' in the...kitchen of darkness!  A pie of
lost souls...until it's golden brown!" -- Moltar on Space Ghost