[TriLUG] e-mail - Fixed!

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Feb 7 15:29:44 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:

> Thanks for everyone who responded.  The problem turned out to be that my machine was only listening for e-mail on the loopback address.  Here is what I did to fix the problem:
>
> 1. vi sendmail.mc
> 2. commented out "DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1,Name=MTA')"
> 3. executed m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf (not sure if I had to do this step or not..)

Yes, you did have to do that.  sendmail.mc just sets variables that are
used in m4's processing to create sendmail.cf.  sendmail.cf is the only
actual configuration file used by sendmail.

> 4. ps -eaf | grep sendmail (to get the PID)
> 5. kill -hup PID

The more "correct" way to restart a service is with this command:
	service sendmail reload
(some services require you to use "restart" instead of "reload")

--Jeremy