[TriLUG] Its broke and I gotta fix it

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 9 00:22:26 EST 2002

One very old suggestion to try which is very simple, but I've seen it work many times.

IF you suspect your hard disk has gone bad, you can often bring it back to life (at least long enough to get the info off it onto a new drive) by putting it into TWO plastic bags which have been sealed by twisting the ends and putting a twist tie tightly around them. Put the first bag on the drive and seal it. Then put the second bag over the first and seal it too. This is done to prevent any moisture from forming on the outside or inside of the hard drive. Then put it in a freezer overnight. Take it out of the freezer and defrost it first before removing the two bags.

This is a very old trick that my friends and I have often used to temporarily repair hard drives and get them working long enough to get the data off them. This is because drives usually go bad because the bearings fail, and when you radically change the temperature of the drive it is often enough to move the shaft and bearing back into the proper position. Try it. Although there are no guarantees you shouldn't hurt the drive in any case, and you might solve your problem AND save your data to boot. If the hard drive is bad already you literally have nothing to lose!! REMEMBER THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT FIX!!  Good Luck, AL