[TriLUG] SNMP info?

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Sat Feb 9 00:32:05 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Bill Vinson wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of some docs on SNMP?
>
> I am getting more interested specifically in wireless access points and
> their configuration using SNMP MIBs.  Anyone know where I can get some
> good high level on down info?

Bill, you might start with some of the following:

http://www.net-snmp.org/
is the home page for the net-snmp project.

http://www.net-snmp.org/FAQ.html
The net-snmp FAQ is prety good.

http://www.mostang.com/~davidm/aws110.html
explains how to configure the Addtron WAP via the Linux net-snmp package.

http://www.snmp.org/protocol/
has links to the SNMP FAQs and the appropriate RFCs.

OpenSNMP looks like a good general tool.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensnmp/

If you like hardcopy, I like the book _Understanding SNMP MIBs_.
http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/professional/product/1,4096,0134377087.html,00.html

http://freshmeat.net/projects/dwl-1000ap-conf/
is "a command-line configuration tool for the D-Link DWL-1000AP Wireless
Access Point (802.11) written in Perl which uses SNMP" which might provide
some info, or at least code examples.

http://aptools.sourceforge.net/
has a large table of wireless access points and links to their docs, MAC
addresses, and so on.

You may, depending on your particular WAP, want to notice this
SNMP-related security advisory.
http://www.iss.net/security_center/alerts/advise83.php

best,
Steve Burnett