[TriLUG] Yes, Mike, I'd love to hear how and where this could be done.

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Feb 9 12:24:32 EST 2002

Mike said:
> I'll post how and where to build a Linux box for $287 if you are
interested.

Buying new hardware to build the average person's Linux desktop is kind of
like opening a can of tunafish with a chainsaw.  One man's trash is another
man's treasure.  I've got this Duron 750 machine here and I don't know what
to do with it because it is way too fast.

Here's the kind of hardware I've been working with lately, in a professional
environment even, and with great results:

Compaq Deskpro EN desktop with Intel Pentium II 300 technology. 64MB memory,
3.2GB hard drive, soundcard, USB, ethernet, keyboard & mouse. Video memory
expandable to 8MB SGRAM. Note: monitor not included.

Cost?  $86.95.     Source?  http://www.secondwindpcs.com/

Let's add a monitor.  Same vendor:
Compaq P75 17" color monitor. 16" viewable image, maximum resolution 1280 x
1024, trinitron.
Cost? $69.48

Not too shabby at all.  That's a nice monitor!