[TriLUG] HTML + Javascript (was about Wachovia)

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Sat Feb 9 18:59:42 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> > i also work in the corporate web industry, and i submit that unless the
> > target market is known to use a specific class of browsers (e.g. corporate
> > intranet when the corp has standardized on MSIE), it is incorrect to use
> > rely on anything other than standard HTML + javascript on the client.
>
> Please don't depend on Javascript either.  Many shops disable it by default
> to exponentially increase the stability (and, I've heard argued, the
> security) of their web browsers.

fwiw, unless i'm writing something very narrowly focused (an admin ui, for
instance), i only use javascript to augment functionality, i never rely on
it being present or even working properly. a simple for instance, <select
onChange="this.form.submit()"> is a fine shortcut to provide, say, for
menu-based navigation, but i always provide a submit button as well. by
the same token, it's nice to validate forms client-side using javascript,
but one must always also validate server-side as well. note that's not
just being nice, that's writing secure webapps.

- donald