[TriLUG] Laptop Hell

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Feb 10 07:40:35 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 22:46, Ken Mink wrote:
>   I recently bought a HP Pavilion laptop. It has a 1GHz Duron processor
> and uses the VIA KN133 chipset. It's a nice machine and was a good deal.

I will voice in and say that we're running Linux on a Pavilion at my
office. with no problems. it's an older one, though, with an Intel CPU.

That's the good news. The bad news is we've had to service all three of
our Pavilions for problems with the screens, and one had to be serviced
a second time due to issues with the track pad. So keep your eye out,
but it's also possible they've fixed this in the newer models.

>   Then bad news: Once I rebooted, I discovered that Linux was completely
> unstable. Once the system boots, it doesn't last more than a few minutes
> before I get errors like the following;

I ahve to agree with katzj on this one - it looks like the Athlon bug.
To try noathlon :

- When the GRUB boot screen appears, select the kernel you want (2.4.17)
and hit "e" to edit the boot line
- select the kernel line
- hit "e" to edit
- add "noathlon" to the end of the kernel line and hit enter
- hit "b" to boot.

If this works, edit /etc/grub.conf to match these changes.

HTH
--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9