[TriLUG] VPN Set up

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Mon Feb 11 08:57:57 EST 2002

I am in the process of trying to set up VPN access for my employer (Ok, it's
actually for me so I can work from home),
and I'm hoping this is also another opportunity for me to show my employer
what linux can do for the company. Up to this point, we have been looking at
solutions such as WatchGuard's firebox, and also Cisco software to sit on
the router. Obviously neither of these are cheap.

So can a linux box be set up as a VPN server? This would have to support
Windows clients connecting to Windows servers (dodging hurled vegetables
;-P ). It would be sitting behind our router(?) , so I just need VPN
support. PPTP would be great, as then I wouldn't need any special client
side software other than dial up networking in Windows.

Thanks,
Justin