[TriLUG] Email questions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 15:27:38 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Matthews" <jvmatthe at math.duke.edu>
To: <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: [TriLUG] Email questions

> On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 14:19, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> > Abiword and gnumeric, are they office compliant? The office environment
here
> > is shifting to Office 2000 or Office XP
>
> Abi probably won't be able to handle Office XP stuff, except where it
> very closely follows the .doc versions that Abi currently knows about. I
> doubt it handles Office 2000 very gracefully either. But, then again, it
> depends on how fancy the documents are. Graphics are not currently
> imported from .doc correctly, IIRC. Tables and lists may (still) be a
> problem. Macros (thankfully) aren't imported at all.
>
> If you can get people to use RTF, I suspect that you'll fit in better.

Well I just installed Mandrake 8.2 (the beta2 version) and got email from
work generated by Office2000 apps.  The .doc files opened just fine using
Abiword and the spreadsheets were perfect using Gnumeric.  Now I'm sure that
someone could really funk up one or the other with some outlandish feature
that is only supported by MS, but I have yet to receive such a doc or xls
from my clueless compatriots (clueless that I am running Linux).

BTW: at home is the only time I don't cringe in anticipation of viruses
leaping out into my PC as I open one of these attachments.

Jon