[TriLUG] Email questions

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Tue Feb 12 08:33:20 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 15:27, Jon Carnes wrote:
> Well I just installed Mandrake 8.2 (the beta2 version) and got email from
> work generated by Office2000 apps.  The .doc files opened just fine using
> Abiword and the spreadsheets were perfect using Gnumeric.  Now I'm sure that
> someone could really funk up one or the other with some outlandish feature
> that is only supported by MS, but I have yet to receive such a doc or xls
> from my clueless compatriots (clueless that I am running Linux).

That's really good news! As I mentioned, we don't get much in the way of
.doc or .xls stuff around here, but there were a few that I had to deal
with that were unpleasant. Also, my wife works at NCSSM and very few of
the .doc files work "correctly" because they typically include
enumerated lists, images, and some special "MathType" plugin data that
Abi can't seem to handle correctly.

I'm sure Abi will get better. It's one of my favorite free software
projects that I show to people when they ask "What can you do on Linux?"
Now I can tell them that it opens Office 2000 documents as well. I still
wonder about Office XP...

Fortunately for my ego, my wife still is a die-hard LaTeX user. :^)

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\