[TriLUG] VPN Set up

Chris Knowles knowlesc at telocity.com
Tue Feb 12 15:00:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 09:49 am, you wrote:
> > Yup, PPTP is the way to go.  I've spent the last year of my
> > life looking at
> > commercial boxes.  I've got a VPNet demo unit that never did
> > quite work,
> > can't get Netscreen to answer my calls, got sticker shock
> > looking at Cisco.
>
> Then you know where I am :-).
>
> > Then I took a couple of days and a boatload of help from Jon
> > Carnes and got a
> > box working.  It's pretty slick, and make for really easy connections.
>
> Before I head down this path, I just wanted to confirm that this will allow
> me to connect
> Windows clients to windows servers, correct? I assume I'll need to enable
> Samba as well as PPTP on the linux box? I am basically looking for the
> linux box to simply provide the connection, and let the windows server to
> provide the authentication.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Yup.  Nope. Probably.

Yup, you will get the linux box to be the end of a tunnel, allowing remote
users to appear as if they were on your network.

Nope, you do not need samba, unless...

You want to use winbind, which will allow the remote users to use their NT
passwords to authenticate.

We decided against letting people use their NT passwords to authenticate, as
most of our users are using password or their first name as their password.

All (except 3.11) versions of windows can connect to this thing seamlessly,
and it's great.

CJK