[TriLUG] bash cmd line processing question

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 14 14:03:15 EST 2002

AL Koscielny wrote:

> On Thursday 14 February 2002 13:36, you wrote:
> > The (') is one of the ways to quote strings in shells, and I have
> > never really understood the difference between " and '.
>
> The shell ignores any text between single quotes ''.
> The shell ignores most of the text between double quotes "" except that $, `,
> and \ are interpreted.
>
> An example is
> FOO=bar
> echo '$FOO'
> $FOO
> echo "$FOO"
> bar

Ah, thank-you!  I thought it was the other way around; no wonder
my adventures in scripting were always at best 'iffy'.  Right now,
I feel like I have just understood one the mysteries of the Universe!
Thanks again!

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html