[TriLUG] OT: long haul 802.11b?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Feb 14 22:45:31 EST 2002

gregbrown at mindspring.com [gregbrown at mindspring.com] wrote:
> So this is a little off topic, but here it goes anyway.  Has anyone done and
> work attempting to push a 802.11b signal over a long distance.  I'm thinking
> of somewhere in the range of 200-300 meters (outdoors).  Some antennas claim
> they do this now but I would like 90% signal at 200-300 meters, not the
> reduced 1 meg signal.

Two to three hundred meters is trivial for line-of-sight directionals, as
many have pointed out.

> My second questions refers to line of sight vs. a "blanket" signal.
> Optimally I would like to have a blanket type signal projected for 200-300
> meters, not a line of sight (because I'd like to move around).

That range is a bit more difficult to do with omnis.  Just how much do
you plan to move?  If it's within a certain area, sector antennas are
really the way to go.  You get a pretty serious signal over a wide area.
True omnis can get up there, but not quite what a sector can do.  You'll
definately need one on the outside of your location, though.

Check out:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_2400.html

For good links for antennas:
http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/WirelessLinks

> Has anyone played around with this?  I am running 802.11b at the house but I
> don't have any external antennas on my Orinoco access point.

I haven't yet, but I just got my Linksys card installed with an
external antenna.  Planning on getting an antenna for the roof before
too long.

Mike
--
"Yeah it is! Cause he's bakin' in the...kitchen of darkness!  A pie of
lost souls...until it's golden brown!" -- Moltar on Space Ghost