[TriLUG] Routing question

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Fri Feb 15 08:13:33 EST 2002

Tanner Lovelace [lovelace at wayfarer.org] wrote:
> interface) doesn't work very well. :-)  I think what I need is
> to setup IP masquerading so that it can keep state of the connections
> and send the correct connections out the correct address (changing
> the originating IP as needed).  Oh, and I need to do this under
> 2.2.19, so IPtables is out. :-(  I pretty much understand how

I'm actually looking to do the exact same thing for our office (load-
balancing 2 DSL connections, in our case).  Unfortunately, I don't
think this is possible under 2.2 -- you need to be able to do stateful
filtering to be able to track which sessions should be going out which
interface.  It's possible to load-balance the two connections in 2.2,
but the remote end has to be able to reassemble those into one stream;
and since you have 2 different providers, that's not gonna happen.  :(
Otherwise, the packets will just get balanced willy-nilly and you'll
end up having, say, an SSH session that receives every other packet
from a different IP address.

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, it won't be possible
without the stateful filtering in 2.4 (or BSD <g>).

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/