[TriLUG] OT : Long distance Wireless Access Points

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Feb 15 16:42:25 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Joe Meador wrote:

> I guess it helps to read the posts of the previous day - sorry for
> posting basically a repeat of of what someone already said.  I checked
> out some of the links that Mike Johnson sent and that has been
> interesting.  I don't know which antenna we would need though - for
> starters the 2 initial LANs would be about 1 - 1.5 miles part without
> a clear view.  Thanks for your help.

If you don't have an unobstructed, line-of-sight view, than nothing
unlicensed will work for you.  You'll have to apply to the FCC for a
license, which will be very time consuming and require a lot of expertise.
I doubt you're interested in running a radio station/cell phone tower,
which is the kinda of complexity I'm talking about.  You'll probably find
it more cost effective to get Frame Relay connections from your phone
company, or other Internet access (cable modem, DSL, whatever), with a VPN
solution.

--Jeremy