[TriLUG] updating RH 7.2 kernel

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Mon Feb 18 11:04:12 EST 2002

Kevin Hunter [khunter at rhoworld.com] wrote:

> I hope this is not too much of a stupid user question.  Part of my
> confusion comes from the RedHat Network.  I have a Dell web appliance
> that I scrapped Dell's install and redid it from scratch.  It has two
> PIII processors, so my boot image is listed as vmlinuz-2.4.7-10smp in
> my lilo.conf.
>
> ( NOTE : this is NOT a production system )
>
> I want to update the kernel, but I'm slightly confused on what image
> to download.  When I setup the RHN for this system, it subscribed me
> to the 7.2 i386 channel.  However, my system description is "7.2
> running on an i686", which makes sense since I'm running on a couple
> of PIII's.  Do I assume that the .../updates/7.2/en/os/i386 directory
> on the ftp site is updates applicable to all Intel based systems, and
> anything ix86 specific will be in one of the other directories??
>
> My main question is which kernel update(s) do I download.  From the
> ftp site, I'm assuming I download kernel-smp-2.4.9-21.i686.rpm from
> updates/7.2/en/os/i686/, and from updates/7.2/en/os/i386/, I download
> kernel-headers-2.4.9-21.i386.rpm.
>
> Am I on the right track??

Yup, that should work out just fine.  The i386 kernel(s) should work just
fine too, although if you get one from the i586 or i686 directories
they'll be better-optimized for your processor.

If you're curious which version you're currently running, you can do:

  rpm -q --queryformat '%{arch}' kernel

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/