[TriLUG] CD drive workaround

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 11:44:49 EST 2002

just had a wierd problem with my CD drive eject button.

-using a Compaq Presario 12XL500 with a built-in CD drive.
-using Mandrake 8.1.
-was RPM'ing in xpdf.
-had Mandrake 8.1 CD 1 in the drive.
-started Control Center
-selected System-Software Manager
-selected xpdf, then highlighted xpdf in the "Selected" window, then clicked
Install/Remove
-was prompted to install CD 2, the manual eject button did not work (tried
repeatedly); opened xterm at user level and entered "$eject /dev/cdrom3"
which opened the drawer"
-Process completed successfully; package loaded and tested successfully.

I would expect the software manager to have opened the drive automatically.
I expected the eject button to work.

Is this a problem with my machine?  Is this something worth bringing to the
attention of Mandrake?

Mike M.