[TriLUG] I still have mail relay problems

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 18 14:00:53 EST 2002

People:

I am still having problems with mail relaying.  I am running RH 7.1 on an Intel chip.

I made the following changes to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
changed to:
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
changed to:

FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl

I then ran m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf and restarted sendmail via service restart sendmail.

I then edited the /etc/mail/access file and added some lines (here is the entire file):

# Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.2/README.cf file for a description
# of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
# The /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.2/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc
# package.
#
# by default we allow relaying from localhost...
localhost.localdomain		RELAY
localhost			RELAY
127.0.0.1			RELAY
mindspring.com			RELAY
lucent.com			REALY

I then restarted sendmail again.  All appeared well.

I then cranked up a mail client (Eudora on windoze) and pointed my SMTP server to the hostmane of the computer I was mucking with (vtcdev.gc.lucent.com).

When I attempt to send a mail message with the return address of gregbrown at mindspring.com through vtcdev.gc.lucent.com I get the following message:

<message>
There has been an error transferring your mail. I said:
MAIL FROM:<gregbrown at mindspring.com>

and then the SMTP serer {vtcdev.gc.lucent.com} said:
553 5.3.0 RELAY
</end message>

So.. I'm lost.  I'm reading what little information I have regarding sendmail and I think this should work.

Any suggestions?

Greg