Cygwin (was Re: [TriLUG] a good ssh client for win2k)

Rob Napier rnapier at employees.org
Tue Feb 19 13:03:06 EST 2002

While I'm mostly a fan of cygwin, it's very slow compared to native
ports of tools. It makes nice glue, but whenever possible, look for a
native port for tools like xemacs, ImageMagick, perl, etc. You can
then put their paths early so that you pick them up first (or put
links to them in ~/bin or the like). ImageMagick is a great example of
this. I couldn't believe how much slower convert was than doing the
work in PhotoShop (even including loading up Photoshop and all the
images). Then I dumped the cygwin version and ran a native port (under
cygwin's bash) and all was well again.

Of course, getting all the tools I need to work on windows finally got
to be too much trouble, and I've gone back to my two-machine solution.
Image capture/cleanup in Windows with PhotoShop Elements (which
continues to be better than gimp for this kind of work; no offense),
than mass convert-ization and album-ization on linux running samba.

Rob