[TriLUG] Don't get involved in Trilug...you might post *gasp* off topic.

acoliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 17:02:04 EST 2002

Jeremy P [jeremyp at pobox.com] wrote:
=20
>> Don't forget the trilug-announce list, which is inexplicably being run by
>> a DIFFERENT list program (listar instead of mailman), and therefore
>> doesn't show up in the mailman catalog. There's also the "steering" list,
>> so I think the real number is 8.

>.The explaination is that trilug-announce was set up with trilug@ was
> on one of UNC's servers.  It hasn't been migrated over to mailman
> just...because.  Noone has gotten around to it.

<snip/>

> The hosting and education lists were for the support of sub-committees
> which have never been formally created.  The mere creation of a
> sub-committee results in the creation of a mailing list, plain and
> simple.

Partially because no one sent mail to those lists in part because they
aren't linked from the trilug web page.  If trilug wishes to be active in
these causes you must engage those who don't even know they are
interested....on the trilug list that they already subscribe to.

> In the end, hosting@ was set up because people wanted it.  The posts
> about the mailserver should probably have gone there.  Obviously,
> noone is gonna make you post there.  However, the idea behind the
> other lists is to increase discussion, not limit it.  We thought that
> by making the hosting list, people would be more free in their=20
> discussion of hosting issues, and hopefully form a hosting=20
> sub-committee. =20

To be honest my desire to join a comittee on really anything is about zilch.
 I want a mail server.  Doin my best to make that happen.  Most of the folks
who donated parts and etc do not subscribe to the "hosting" mail list.  To
be honest I'm nearly completely disinterested in "hosting" issues most of
the time.  I scan the headers and if there were one that said "email server"
I'd have read it...the others...probably scanned past.

Guess what?  The subcomittee lists are a flop.

> dev@ was created because people wanted it, but there's no=20
> sub-committee.  It was thought that having the list would -increse-
> the discussion of the topic, allowing people to feel more free to
> post new questions/topics that only a few people would be interested
> in (and given that most people follow the 'don't post to the list=20
> unless there's likely to be interest' rule of mailing lists). The=20
> dev list has worked wonderfully that way.

That one worked!  Great idea.

> I would -like- to see discussions about the mail server and stuff
> like that on the hosting list.  But, like I said, noone can stop
> you from posting hosting issues on this list.  It's a request,
> not a demand.  The thing I like to see the most, however, is=20
> discussion, period.

I have zero interest in starting efforts that are doomed to fail (posting to
a list that hardly anyone subscribes to...probably even I don't...that is
not even linked off of the trilug website)..  I suggest that those most
interested in chasing their own tail chase it at whichever venue they like
and leave me out of it :-p.

-Andy