[TriLUG] Don't get involved in Trilug...you might post *gasp* off topic.

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Feb 19 17:41:52 EST 2002

acoliver [acoliver at nc.rr.com] wrote:

> Partially because no one sent mail to those lists in part because they
> aren't linked from the trilug web page.  If trilug wishes to be active in
> these causes you must engage those who don't even know they are
> interested....on the trilug list that they already subscribe to.

Yup, known bug.  To be fixed in the next release of the web pages.

As for the second part of your statement, I can't parse it.

> To be honest my desire to join a comittee on really anything is about zilch.
>  I want a mail server.  Doin my best to make that happen.  Most of the folks
> who donated parts and etc do not subscribe to the "hosting" mail list.  To
> be honest I'm nearly completely disinterested in "hosting" issues most of
> the time.  I scan the headers and if there were one that said "email server"
> I'd have read it...the others...probably scanned past.

Great, don't join the sub-committee.  Your donations to helping to
get the mail server running are appreciated.  However, the hosting
sub-committee is where all the work related to planning and implementation
of TriLUG's servers is supposed to happen.  The discussion about the
mail server, in this case, became more of a 'how do I debug this
hardware error', rather than 'the mailserver should run IMAP'.  The
former is something that comes across TriLUG everyday (see the SCSI
errors posts) that just -happened- to be about a server that will
soon be in use by TriLUG.  Really, it can be posted about on either
list, or in /dev/null.  I don't care.  It's on topic for both.

> Guess what?  The subcomittee lists are a flop.

You may think that the current subcomittee lists aren't doing so
well, but that does not mean they will never be used, nor does it
mean they are a failure.

Understand that the the subcomittee lists are an effort to offload
some of the work from the steering committee onto volunteers who
step forward.  The lists exist to focus discussion amongst those
volunteers.  Think of them as lists similar to the steering committee
list.

> That one worked!  Great idea.

Right, and we have no way of knowing what will and what will not
work ahead of time.  Dev worked, the jury is still out in regards
to hosting.

> I have zero interest in starting efforts that are doomed to fail (posting to
> a list that hardly anyone subscribes to...probably even I don't...that is
> not even linked off of the trilug website)..  I suggest that those most
> interested in chasing their own tail chase it at whichever venue they like
> and leave me out of it :-p.

Right, we got the point that it's not linked from the website.  As for
'hardly anyone', there's thirty members of that list.  There are 351
on the main list, so nearly ten percent of our members are on the
hosting list.  As for leaving you out, feel free to unsubscribe from
the hosting list.  It was -requested- that this discussion be moved
to the hosting list, a list to which you subscribe.  You decided
otherwise, and that's cool.  The discussion stays here, or goes on
in duplicate.  It happens.  It's on topic for -both- lists.  Crossover
happens, and I anticipate it happening with the dev list, too.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost