[TriLUG] Call for a vote: Trash dead old lists

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Tue Feb 19 17:51:09 EST 2002

> I hereby call for a vote.
<snip>
> Education Education Subcommittee list  - No archive even...totally dead
> Hosting setup Hosting for local software projects  - very dead
> Security_talk Security Talk for TriLUG presentation - no archive even
> Welcome Welcome Wagon to help new LUG users  - no archive even

> Please signify a "+1" if you agree that:
> these dead lists should be removed and their topics just discussed on the
> main lists (trilug at trilug.org)
> trilug and dev should be linked off of the trilug.org/communication.html
> page or the link should point to the listinfo page.

You have my +1 for the Welcome and Security_Talk ones.

I do think that there were legit reason for splitting
Education and Hosting off into separate lists.  The
fact that their underutilized /at the moment/ doesn't
necessarily mean they're worthless.

In particular, I think the Hosting list is kinda dead,
because of the financial shape Tri-LUG is in. We talked
about needing some additional hardware to do some of the
cool things that we want to do, in terms of hosting...
but the funds simply aren't, afaik, available to do
a lot of that stuff now.

I should disclose that I'm biased here. I was one of the
original participants in that group, and consider it
to be somewhat of a "pet" cause.

The Education list I'm a little more indifferent about, because
I was never involved in it's activities.  Still, I think that
/when/ the Education group has a project to work on ( like the
Charter School thing ) they can justify a separate list.

So, I guess I should say I vote:

+1 on the Security_Talk and Welcome lists
and
-0.5 on the Education and Hosting lists.

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

America is at war with Afghanistan.  America has always been at war with
Afghanistan.  Russia is our ally.  Russia has always been our ally.

Read Orwell's 1984.  Read a newspaper.  Fear the future.

The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty
is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
- Woodrow Wilson Speech in New York, September 9, 1912

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin