[TriLUG] Novell eDirectory? Anyone?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Feb 19 19:05:33 EST 2002

A Dimarts 19 Febrer 2002 04:22 pm, vàreu escriure:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2002 03:20 pm, you wrote:
> > But if the house already has some experience with Novell
> > technology, it will be a smart move.

> No, there is no Novell here, and no desire for Netware.

Why? Any technical reasons? If it is only "precived evil", I can tell
you that Netware / NDS / NAL / ZenWorks is a very useful set of tools.
Much better than Microsoft set of networking tools.

> Most of the desktops are running some flavor of Windows, and this is
> not anything that can change anytime soon due to dependence on very
> proprietary industry-specific applications.

Then, Novell will perform admirably.

> Very few desktops are running Linux.  That number may grow a little
> bit.

Linux is now supported by Novell

> The back end infrastructure is mostly Linux and OpenBSD.  There are
> two Microsoft servers.  If Novell eDirectory (formerly NDS) can
> replace the Microsoft domain controller totally, I can eliminate one
> of those Windows servers entirely (but not the other, again, due to
> very proprietary industry specific software).

eDirectory should be able to perform at the same level... or better
than MS-Domain directory. Hey! even PC Magazine said that Novell
performed better than Microsoft!

Check Novell website for comparisons, possible solutions and the works.
 Also, I know a Trilugger who has a brother that is a Novell Certified
Engineer. He might be able to answer better than me.

> I've been very careful here to recommend and implement open
> specification technologies (though not ALWAYS open source...).
> Novell has the appearance of embracing open standards so this is one
> area where I'm strongly considering an otherwise proprietary product.

Novell has been adopted by Yahoo! recently. They moved from former
technologies.

>  I've heard way too many horror stories about OpenLDAP and this
> really needs to be a reliable solution.

Novell it is reliable. I mean, we managed hundreds of users (PC, Mac),
Servers, groups, levels, applications...

Also Groupwise provides an email-calendar-groupware tool pretty good.
And no virusses  :)

> Thanks,
> Chris

Hope this helps. If you need more info, please contact me off-list if
you wish.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-34mdk     Linux Machine # 38068