[TriLUG] question 2: ssh tunneling with putty

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Feb 20 10:09:36 EST 2002

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 09:57 am, you wrote:

> if I ssh into my box I assume my login and password are sent to my server
> encrypted.

That's the main argument for replacing telnet with ssh.

> If I execute a command.. say xclock is all that X traffic coming back to my
> local machine from my server encrypted as well?

Only if ssh was configured at both ends of the connection to pass X through
the ssh tunnel.  If you are ssh'ing into an OpenBSD box it is highly likely
that you will NOT be passing X through the tunnel as it seems to be disabled
by default on the 3.0 systems I've set up.  Red Hat Linux 7.2 on the other
hand seems to pass it by default through the encrypted tunnel.

> What about if I redirect my display after ssh'ing in then start another
> xterm?  Is the encryption inherited to that new shell which started when I
> executed the xterm & command?

If you change your DISPLAY after you ssh in, you're no longer going through
the tunnel.  If you don't touch your DISPLAY setting and start an xterm
(through the tunnel) everything on that xterm is encrypted.

If the connection is slow you can also compress your X traffic BTW through
ssh.