[TriLUG] question 1: RH 7.1 FTP access SLOW

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Wed Feb 20 10:17:18 EST 2002

[gregbrown at mindspring.com]
> I am running RH 7.1 connected to a cable modem and I just enabled ftp through the firewall.  I have plenty of bandwidth but the FTP server running on the box seems very sssslllllooooooowwwwwwww... It takes forever to respond to the initial FTP request (but transfers files quickly once connected).
>
> Is this normal behavior for wu-ftpd?  Very long time to connect, very long time to deliver responses to command like 'dir' or 'ls', but very quick file transfers?

This sounds like tcpwrappers attempting (and eventually failing) to do
a reverse DNS lookup for logging.

IIRC, 7.1 had already switched over to xinetd, so IIRC you should
be able to edit /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd and edit the 2 log_on_* lines
to drop the USERID

This is all from a distant haze of a memory, though, but I'm sure others
will correct me :)

James
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4