[TriLUG] question 1: RH 7.1 FTP access SLOW

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Feb 20 10:19:27 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:

> I am running RH 7.1 connected to a cable modem and I just enabled ftp
> through the firewall.  I have plenty of bandwidth but the FTP server
> running on the box seems very sssslllllooooooowwwwwwww... It takes
> forever to respond to the initial FTP request (but transfers files
> quickly once connected).

I've noticed that some FTP clients will attempt to use traditional active
mode FTP, and when that times out they switch to passive mode.  Active
mode doesn't work through a firewall, so you always need to use passive.
To get around this in the standard client called "ftp", type "passive" at
the prompt before opening a connection.  I'm sure there are similar
options for other FTP clients.

You may also want to make sure that the FTP server is only using passive
mode.

--Jeremy