[TriLUG] question 1: RH 7.1 FTP access SLOW

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Feb 20 10:37:19 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 10:19 am, you wrote:
> > Active
> > mode doesn't work through a firewall,
>
> You need a better firewall.  ;-)

Well, probably, but I've found most of the home broadband firewalls doing
NAT don't seem to support it, at least by default.  Maybe I'm just
clueless on how to set it up, but I've always found active mode a royal
PITA and passive mode to work fine.  :)

At work, yes I do need a better firewall.  We're running some ancient
Yugo-brand firewall/router box that seriously needs to spend time in a
junkyard[1].  Too bad the IT department thinks it's wonderful.  Ugh.

--Jeremy

[1]  It does run on OpenBSD, so it's not all bad.