[TriLUG] Question on KMail

Michael Czeiszperger czei at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Feb 20 13:06:19 EST 2002

>I'm trying to use Kmail as an IMAP mail client. I need to find out how to get
>it to check email every 1 minute ( or less). I'm trying to get away from
>using MS products.

I'm a huge KMail fan, and would be using it now if it didn't cause my computer

hang.

There's a known bug in the IMAP implementations in the KDE 2.2 versions that

goes into an endless loop, and uses up all of the memory in your computer in
about 10-20 minutes. I've duplicated this on serveral different clients and
servers.

The other reason not to use KMail for IMAP is the filters and other features
that work with POP aren't implemented for IMAP.

Here's the bug report:

http://bugs.kde.org/db/34/34065.html

"KMail starts two kio_imap slaves when loaded on my machine (one for each imap
account presumably). After a couple of minutes, these stop communicating with
kmail, start using 99% cpu time, and have to be killed (X in bar). When kmail
exits, the ioslaves remain open and soon start hogging CPU time until manually
killed."

"There are two branches in CVS and this problem is actually only fixed in the
branch for KDE3. I could eventually backport it, but that might be dangerous,
since IMAP has seen a major change meanwhile and possible break something
else with that. IMAP is simply not yet perfect in KDE 2.2.x."

--
Michael Czeiszperger
czei at webperformanceinc.com