[TriLUG] Dell 2400 and Linux

Robert Wagoner RAWagoner at mactec.com
Wed Feb 20 14:47:33 EST 2002

Janyne,

There are several possibilities here, depending on how the setup was
done.

Do you still have a utility partition?  Run fdisk /dev/sda to make sure
it still exists.
If you let the Red Hat installer take the entire drive, it would have
deleted the Dell utility partition.

If the utility partition is intact, you may still have a problem if
it's not flagged bootable in fdisk.
Typical installs flag the /boot partition as the default one to start.
You can change that,
but grub and/or lilo trickery may also be needed.

Tell us more about your configuration, and I'll see if I can help.

(Mine is Oracle8i, RH7.2, dual-CPU PowerEdge, happy, happy)
--
Robert

>>> janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu 2/20/02 1:41 PM >>>
I have some Dell 2400 servers that I plan to deploy with RH 7.2.  I
have
run into a small problem with the Utilities paritition on these
machines. I create the partition and I can boot from it fine.  I
install
Linux and I can no longer boot from it.  I don't know if that
overwrote
something or what.  Have any of you run into this situation?
--

Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5