[TriLUG] always a day late and a dollar short...

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 20 15:14:28 EST 2002

John Matthews wrote:

> This isn't directed at David's post, necessarily, but is more directed
> at the flamousness that's permeated TriLUG since the beginning of the
> year.
>
> It appears to me that we all need to spend a lot more time on USENET.
> That's where I earned my thicker skin. I know that I'm a better person
> for it.

I have to agree.  For the last seven or so years I have been active to
varying degrees on comp.lang.c.  It can be a pretty tough group, and as a
technical resource it is truly excellent. Participating in that group has
given me a pretty thick cyberskin, and I have learned (the hard way) how
to not look like too much of a moron on both USENET and mailing lists.
For whatever reason, this is the nature of communication on USENET
and mailing lists.  The issues facing this mailing list are not new.
I would like to suggest that people read RFC 1855 (the "Netiquette"
guidelines) which have been developed over years of internet culture.

Here is an URL to an HTML formatted version of RFC 1855:
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

Sections 3.1.{1,2,3} seem particularly useful.

Regards,

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html