[TriLUG] Re: coda filesystems

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed Feb 20 21:03:22 EST 2002

Tanner Lovelace [lovelace at wayfarer.org] wrote:
> Please note that I've redirected this to the main trilug list
> since this is not properly a development question, but more
> of a general linux filesystem question and more people
> there might have more ideas (as Chris suggested):
>
> On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 03:03, Brent Verner wrote:
> >
> > Specifically, what I'm looking to do is work around the
> > lack of proper federated-auth-mechanism support across
> > multiple systems -- linux, *bsd.  I intend to have all
> > account info in a PG database on one machine, and have
> > a coda server on that machine present the appropriate
> > files used by the getgr* and getpw* functions.  If all
> > this goes well, I'll implement a similar system to ease
> > the hassle of maintaining multiple proftpd passwd/group
> > files for our multi-virtualhost ftp set up at work -- I
> > absolutely _loathe_ having to figure out /which/ passwd
> > file has to be updated with the current system; there
> > must be a less error-prone/painful solution, and maybe
> > a coda hack will be that ;-)

Hopefully, the problem you're looking to solve is bigger than
this one.  If you're trying to pull off cross-platform
authentication and nothing else, I'd suggest kerberos.  It's
been around much longer than coda, and doesn't have all the
overhead of the filesystem stuff.

I've not been all that interested in coda due to (what seemed
to be) a lack of stability.  However, the FAQ seems to indicate
otherwise at the moment:
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/coda-fom/cache/14.html

I may be willing to give it a shot, as it would be nice to
have file sharing in the home.  However, I really think that
if all you're looking for is authentication, you really should
give kerberos a look.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost