[TriLUG] Debian question

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Fri Feb 22 09:27:36 EST 2002

quotation from M. Mueller (bhu5nji) <bhu5nji at yahoo.com> [on 020222 09:16]:

> Is Debian falling behind the other main distros (RH, Mandrake, SUSE)?

see this weeks Linux Weekly News for the answer (he says it better than
I could):

> The interesting thing, of course, is that many (perhaps even most?)
> Debian users are not running the 2.2 "potato" release. With a quick
> configuration file edit and a massive apt-get command, any system can be
> upgraded to the unstable "sid" release. This is where Debian development
> is done, and it's anything but stale. If you want the bleeding edge,
> you'll probably find it there.

http://lwn.net/2002/0221/

Go and read the whole thing (The joy of an unstable life.)  he covers
most of the Debian issues.  On my servers, I still run Debian 2.2, but
on all my other machines I run woody (unstable) and have very few
issues.  I have installed RedHat 7.2 on my main box at home to learn
more about RedHat (haven't used it in years) and found that its too much
of a hassle to update and maintain in comparison to a Debian box.  I may
put Mandrake on there before reverting to Debian, but overall I am
really happy with my "unstable" debian boxes.  I usually get the new
apps at the same time, or before I even see them announced.

Peace.

john