[TriLUG] Home installation of Linux

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Feb 22 12:51:39 EST 2002

El dia Friday 22 February 2002 12:15 pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
>  Would anybody be interested in coming out to my house on Sunday afternoon
> and helping me install RedHat 7.0 on my home PC. It is not going well, and
> I do not have enough computer knowledge to install a clean installation in
> a reasonable amount of time---I just got my computer back, and I was hoping
> to get Linux running this first week.

:(  This weekend I'm out of town .

> My problem is I am having trouble with the installation on my own.
>  I am using a 1yr old CD boxed set of 7.0 because I do not have another way
> of getting any other version besides purchasing 7.2, or some other brand,

is there a way that yu can get Red Hat 7.2 install CDs? Much better than 7.0
(less patches to apply, 2.4.x kernel, ext3 filesystem, better usb support)

> and I do not know enough about whether that would be a good move, since one
> of the things I like about Linux is the low $ cost.

You can surely get 7.2 CDs from someone at the next meeting... or next week.

>  I have already been through some unorthodox installation, and Linux is
> running, for the most part-- but I think it is not a good, clean
> installation, as 'startx' is not working.

What are your video settings? (video-card/monitor/mouse mix)

>  I would have liked to try 7.2, or even some other distribution, but I
> don't have the means to do that right now (at least I do not think I do).

You just need a friend with a fast connection, a cd-burner and some spare
cycles

>  Now, I have to start from scratch again, BUT I WANT TO DO THINGS RIGHT AND
> HAVE A CLEAN INSTALLATION AND LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

What is going to be theuse of such system? home desktop? home server?
development platorm? game platform?

> Is there anybody out there who is willing to undertake a new venture like
> this? (helping me install Linux).

I could. But not this week-end. Maybe next monday, though

> I'ld be willing to discuss more details about my system first.
> Thanks,
> Jim

Salut,
Sinner
--
"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!"