[TriLUG] Home installation of Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 14:52:31 EST 2002

On Friday 22 February 2002 12:15 pm, you wrote:
> Uhum...
>  Would anybody be interested in coming out to my house on Sunday afternoon
> and helping me install RedHat 7.0 on my home PC. It is not going well, and
> I do not have enough computer knowledge to install a clean installation in
> a reasonable amount of time---I just got my computer back, and I was hoping
> to get Linux running this first week.
>  There is a b-b-q meal in it and some cash if anybody is interested.
> Wooppee, I know.
>  I live in Willow Spring, and can meet in Garner, or Fuquay, to lead the
> person to my house.

Can't say as I have time to stick around and install (not with the two
rug-rats hanging around anyway) but I live out in the never-never land
between Apex, Fuquay, and Holly Springs, and I would be happy to drop off a
copy of Mandrake.

I have CD's for Mandrake 8.0 and for 8.2Beta.  I'm running the Beta now.  It
basically installs itself and seems to be quite solid.  I'll be happy to give
you either set of CD's.  Let me know if you would like them.
You can probably arrange for the TriLUG librarian to make you a copy of the
RH 7.2 disks if you are going to be at the next meeting: March 14.

Note: The speed of a beta is not as good as the shipped distro, so if you
choose the Beta you should upgrade to the real show when Mandrake comes out
as an official 8.2

When you install, I suggest that you setup three partitions: a large /home
volume, a swap partition, and make the rest as root.  When you upgrade or
move distro's you will leave your home partition alone and reinstall
everything to the root (/).  That's good for a home system.

Jon