[TriLUG] TriLUG Frequently Asked Questions

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Feb 22 15:45:07 EST 2002

Tanner,
Thanks so much for taking this on.  I have some
questions/comments/suggestions for consideration.

>   2.2.	What does TriLUG do?
>
>   As an educational nonprofit, TriLUG devoted to teaching and otherwise
>   helping people use Linux and other free/open-source software.	 We have
>   monthly meetings, active mailing lists, and quarterly installfests.

How appropriate is the inclusion of operating systems that are NOT linux
but are open source or free source software (I'm specifically thinking
of the *BSD's but I'm trying to better define the parameters).  The
current verbiage indicates that the BSD's are just as on-topic as
Linux.  If this is the case, can we include this explicitly in the
document (i.e "including other free platforms such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
Gnu Hurd, etc.").

[2.6]
>   The function of
>   the Steering Committee is not to "run the show" or to set policy,
>   rather the committee tries to bring the members requests to fruition.

For all practical purposes, this is not how things have been run unless
there has been a clear agreement among the membership at large.  I'm not
suggesting that the SC has acted improperly, but perhaps the FAQ should
reflect how the LUG is really run.

>   3.  TriLUG Mailing Lists
>
>   Questions and "Netiquette" for the mailing lists.

We have netiquette?  ;-)  j/k

[3.1]
>   o  the main TriLUG list is for open (unmoderated) discussion of all
>      things Linux, *BSD, Free Software, and/or Open Source related;

Ah this does answer one of my earlier questions.  Thank you.

Suggestion:  Include the email address and Mailman URL for each list
here.

>   o  trilug-announce is the low-volume list for the announcement of our
>      monthly meetings, installfests, and occasional events (such as
>      booths at local shows).  It is the only list that has not been
>      converted to use the Mailman list software.

Isn't the steering committee on something else?  Actually IIRC there are
multiple mailing lists for the SC.  IIRC these include steer@,
trilug-steer@, and steering@

hosting@ is archived at http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/hosting/

>   3.2.	What is "appropriate content" for each of the TriLUG lists?
>
>   The rules for "appropriate content" on the TriLUG lists are simple:
>
>   o  Be courteous to others in your postings (no personal attacks on the
>      list please and no profanity)

Don't mean to incite a riot here but this is counter to what our own SC
has said recently regarding profanity.

>   o  No advertising, and no spam.

It sounds stupid, but I think "spam" needs to be defined.  Not for our
benefit, but for the spammers.  Many spammers are under the delusion
that they aren't spamming.

>   o  The trilug-announce list is open to everyone (all are welcome to
>      subscribe) and is meant to be a very low volume channel.

In addition, this is a read only list.  Everyone is welcome to subscribe
but only the SC officers can post.

>   3.3.	If the lists aren't moderated, how can there be any rules?
>
>   Well, good question...  *grin*
>
>   In practice we have had very few problems with off-topic posts,
>   flames, and other list annoyances.

Never happens.  ;-)

> If they do become a more serious
>   problem, the steering committee will first remind the offenders.  If
>   the problems persist, various defenses including moderation and
>   banning of abusers may be implemented.  We hope that it won't be
>   necessary.

Or if you let it go long enough, there is a good chance the offending
party will unsubscribe themselves from the list.  ;-)

>   3.4.	Are jobs-posts welcome?
>
>   In the past, jobs posts were not allowed on our lists.  More recently,
>   the new steering committee has voted to allow posts under specific
>   circumstances.  Thus, if the job post in question meets the following
>   criteria:
>
>   o  the position is primarily (that is, 51%) Linux or Free Software or
>      Open Source related;  and
>
>   o  the position is advertised only *once* (absolutely no repeat
>      spamming will be tolerated)
>
>      then it is welcome on our main discussion list.  These posts are
>      not welcome on the announce list.	If there are any questions or if
>      these policies need clarification, please feel free to contact the
>      steering committee and we'll be glad to help.

I'd suggest including triangle.jobs newsgroup here as a good alternative
place to go for job listings that don't meet our criteria, or for those
who are having a hard time filling a position and need to repeat the
posting.

>   3.5.	Are other advertisements welcome?
>
>   General advertisements to the TriLUG discussion list are strongly
>   discouraged.	Note that other kinds of "ads" are possible through
>   sponsoring pizza and soda for our monthly meetings.

Suggestion: Furthermore I'd suggest that ALL advertisements be sent to
the SC first for approval.  Don't rely on personal judgement here of the
advertiser.  "strongly discouraged" is probably not strong enough
terminology here.

Also, I would suggest including here the price of sponsoring a meeting.

Thanks again for taking this on.