[TriLUG] TriLUG Frequently Asked Questions

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Feb 22 16:46:13 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 15:45, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Tanner,
> Thanks so much for taking this on.  I have some
> questions/comments/suggestions for consideration.

You're welcome.  Before I answer your questions, however,
I will say that although I updated the most obvious things,
a lot of the FAQ is still what Ed had done with it. (BTW,
thanks Ed, for doing such a great job setting it up.)
So, there's probably more stuff in it that can be updated.

> >   2.2.	What does TriLUG do?
> >
> >   As an educational nonprofit, TriLUG devoted to teaching and otherwise
> >   helping people use Linux and other free/open-source software.	 We have
> >   monthly meetings, active mailing lists, and quarterly installfests.
>
> How appropriate is the inclusion of operating systems that are NOT linux
> but are open source or free source software (I'm specifically thinking
> of the *BSD's but I'm trying to better define the parameters).  The
> current verbiage indicates that the BSD's are just as on-topic as
> Linux.  If this is the case, can we include this explicitly in the
> document (i.e "including other free platforms such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> Gnu Hurd, etc.").

This was in the original FAQ.  I haven't looked up what the TriLUG
charter is, but perhaps one of the SC can give us official policy
here.  I personally don't think it's that big a deal to include
other free platforms.

> [2.6]
> >   The function of
> >   the Steering Committee is not to "run the show" or to set policy,
> >   rather the committee tries to bring the members requests to fruition.
>
> For all practical purposes, this is not how things have been run unless
> there has been a clear agreement among the membership at large.  I'm not
> suggesting that the SC has acted improperly, but perhaps the FAQ should
> reflect how the LUG is really run.

Not being a member of the SC, I will defer to them on this. (I
see Jon has already written something about this...)

> >   3.  TriLUG Mailing Lists
> >
> >   Questions and "Netiquette" for the mailing lists.
>
> We have netiquette?  ;-)  j/k

One always hopes. :-)

> [3.1]
> >   o  the main TriLUG list is for open (unmoderated) discussion of all
> >      things Linux, *BSD, Free Software, and/or Open Source related;
>
> Ah this does answer one of my earlier questions.  Thank you.
>
> Suggestion:  Include the email address and Mailman URL for each list
> here.

The html version does include it, but the way the linuxdoc source
was setup it doesn't show in the text version.  That is on my list
of things to correct.

> >   o  trilug-announce is the low-volume list for the announcement of our
> >      monthly meetings, installfests, and occasional events (such as
> >      booths at local shows).  It is the only list that has not been
> >      converted to use the Mailman list software.
>
> Isn't the steering committee on something else?  Actually IIRC there are
> multiple mailing lists for the SC.  IIRC these include steer@,
> trilug-steer@, and steering@

As far as I know (from looking at /etc/aliases on fatalpha),
they're all the same thing and are on mailman.

> >      All the lists currently run off of Fatalpha, our one and only
> >      server - though we are in the process of bringing up a separate
> >      mail server.  Only two lists are currently archived:
> >
> >   o  The main list (http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug)
> >
> >   o  The dev list  (http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/dev)
>
> hosting@ is archived at http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/hosting/

Okay, I'll change that.

> >   3.2.	What is "appropriate content" for each of the TriLUG lists?
> >
> >   The rules for "appropriate content" on the TriLUG lists are simple:
> >
> >   o  Be courteous to others in your postings (no personal attacks on the
> >      list please and no profanity)
>
> Don't mean to incite a riot here but this is counter to what our own SC
> has said recently regarding profanity.

I don't recall the incident in question, but I would hope that
what you say is not the case.  At the very least, even if a little
profanity is tolerated every now and then, I would hope this would
be the default policy.

> >   o  No advertising, and no spam.
>
> It sounds stupid, but I think "spam" needs to be defined.  Not for our
> benefit, but for the spammers.  Many spammers are under the delusion
> that they aren't spamming.

Would you be willing to write a definition of spam for inclusion in
the FAQ? :-)  You do and I promise I'll include it. :-)

This also touches on something else I wanted to mention.  You
should notice that I put at the top "Maintained by [me]" not
written by because a FAQ shouldn't really be written by one person.
It should be taken directly from the group it is for.  In this
case, that's you, the subscribers and members of trilug.  So,
if you want to see something in the faq, please speak up.  If
you think something should be changed, please let me know.

> >   o  The trilug-announce list is open to everyone (all are welcome to
> >      subscribe) and is meant to be a very low volume channel.
>
> In addition, this is a read only list.  Everyone is welcome to subscribe
> but only the SC officers can post.

Good point.  I'll change that too.

> >   3.3.	If the lists aren't moderated, how can there be any rules?
> >
> >   Well, good question...  *grin*
> >
> >   In practice we have had very few problems with off-topic posts,
> >   flames, and other list annoyances.
>
> Never happens.  ;-)

Again, one hopes. :-)

> > If they do become a more serious
> >   problem, the steering committee will first remind the offenders.  If
> >   the problems persist, various defenses including moderation and
> >   banning of abusers may be implemented.  We hope that it won't be
> >   necessary.
>
> Or if you let it go long enough, there is a good chance the offending
> party will unsubscribe themselves from the list.  ;-)

Yes, but I'm not sure we want to put that in the FAQ.

> >   3.4.	Are jobs-posts welcome?
> >
> >   In the past, jobs posts were not allowed on our lists.  More recently,
> >   the new steering committee has voted to allow posts under specific
> >   circumstances.  Thus, if the job post in question meets the following
> >   criteria:
> >
> >   o  the position is primarily (that is, 51%) Linux or Free Software or
> >      Open Source related;  and
> >
> >   o  the position is advertised only *once* (absolutely no repeat
> >      spamming will be tolerated)
> >
> >      then it is welcome on our main discussion list.  These posts are
> >      not welcome on the announce list.	If there are any questions or if
> >      these policies need clarification, please feel free to contact the
> >      steering committee and we'll be glad to help.
>
> I'd suggest including triangle.jobs newsgroup here as a good alternative
> place to go for job listings that don't meet our criteria, or for those
> who are having a hard time filling a position and need to repeat the
> posting.

Actually, I don't think this question is about where to go for
job postings, but rather for people who might post jobs here
to decide whether their post is appropriate.  I'm also not sure
it's our job, in the FAQ, to help job posters figure out
where they should post.  Presumably they already know.  If the
membership thinks strongly one way or the other about this, I'd
be more than happy to change this.

> >   3.5.	Are other advertisements welcome?
> >
> >   General advertisements to the TriLUG discussion list are strongly
> >   discouraged.	Note that other kinds of "ads" are possible through
> >   sponsoring pizza and soda for our monthly meetings.
>
> Suggestion: Furthermore I'd suggest that ALL advertisements be sent to
> the SC first for approval.  Don't rely on personal judgement here of the
> advertiser.  "strongly discouraged" is probably not strong enough
> terminology here.

Hmm... I'm not sure I want to add more work for the SC.  The
FAQ already suggests that ads shouldn't be sent, and if the person
does want to advertise at trilug, there are accepted ways (i.e.
sponsership).

> Also, I would suggest including here the price of sponsoring a meeting.

That sounds like a good idea.  Anyone on the SC want to provide
this information?  (I don't know it.)

> Thanks again for taking this on.

No problem.  Maintaining a FAQ isn't really all that much of a
burden (<crosses fingers> :-).  It's really just a revision
every now and then when people find new things to go in,
or when things change, etc...  And, like I said, I've done
this with the mailing list I run, so I already had the
needed makefiles and scripts already setup to do this.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989