[TriLUG] TriLUG Frequently Asked Questions

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Feb 22 17:15:04 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 16:46, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Not being a member of the SC, I will defer to them on this. (I
> see Jon has already written something about this...)

I've taken this up privately with him.  My original point was that the
FAQ should reflect how things are really run.  I think he was contending
that it was accurate.  In short, I respectfully disagree with that
assessment.  Hopefully we can make some sense of this and offer a
suggested adjustment if necessary.

> > Don't mean to incite a riot here but this is counter to what our own SC
> > has said recently regarding profanity.
> >
> I don't recall the incident in question, but I would hope that
> what you say is not the case.  At the very least, even if a little
> profanity is tolerated every now and then, I would hope this would
> be the default policy.

During the last eruption on this list, someone so kindly resurrected a
posting from the archives that I made to the SC regarding this.  The
response I got back was in private and was, IMHO, less than
representative of what the FAQ has to say on this subject.  Again, I'm
just suggesting that the FAQ be slightly adjusted to reflect reality.

> Would you be willing to write a definition of spam for inclusion in
> the FAQ? :-)  You do and I promise I'll include it. :-)

I can make some suggestions, and I'm sure others on the list will have
their own countersuggestions to make.

Spam is many different things to many different people.  There are
several different kinds in particular that will get you in trouble:
	* Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE) - Mail is sent individually or in
bulk to a list of recipients that never asked for this email.  The
nature of the email is typically commercial advertisement of some sort.
	* Spam-For-Cause - Mail is usually sent in bulk to recipients so that
the sender can share information about their cause.  It may be
political, social, or religious in nature (among other things).  Like
UCE, the major offending factor here is that this is unsolicited mail.
This organization exists for the promotion of open source and free
source software, and to champion any other cause in this forum would be
highly inappropriate.
	* Chain letters - You've seen them before and you know what I'm talking
about.  A chain letter may be a message of friendship, or one that
promises good fortune will come upon you if you send it to seven other
people.  The plain truth of the matter is that propagating chain letters
is a great way to lose friends online, and certainly a good way to
offend the members of a forum that the message is broadcast to.

> Actually, I don't think this question is about where to go for
> job postings, but rather for people who might post jobs here
> to decide whether their post is appropriate.

Well what I was suggesting was basically if you read our guidelines and
decide the job you were going to post doesn't meet our suggested
guidelines, there is an alternative place to post the job listing.  I
was not really intending that for people who are looking for jobs, but
rather for people who are looking to post job listings.

> I'm also not sure
> it's our job, in the FAQ, to help job posters figure out
> where they should post.

Sure, but anytime there is a time that we say "No, don't do that." if
there is a clear alternative place where it *is* appropriate, does it
hurt to add the extra .1K to add that information?  It's more of a
courtesy, really.

> Hmm... I'm not sure I want to add more work for the SC.

If it means there is a buffer against trilug at trilug.org becoming like
triangle.jobs, I'd very much like to add that to the job desription.
Effective May 2002 if the current SC feels strongly against it.