[TriLUG] Membership Dues

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 22:18:16 EST 2002

On Friday 22 February 2002 09:00 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 23:22, al johson wrote:
> > Yes, indeed. After that long discussion about our financial state at a
> > recent meeting, I was amazed that no one suggested "club dues". I belong
> > to several organizations which have dues of  either $8 or $9 and no one

Dues... If the membership wants them, we have to charge them, but I doubt
that the majority of members do.  Our expenses are 90% Pizza related.
Instead of charging dues, I would advocate folks just have a bring your own
dinner meeting thirty minutes prior to the speaker taking the stage.

We do have funds for one more round of pizza... and Kevin has a lead on some
possilbe funding.  We will see what the future brings.

As a side note, the complexity on the back-end of our organization rises
dramatically if we charge dues.  To be legal, we would be compelled to change
our structure.  We would need a semi-permanent officer in charge of the money
and the organization would be forced to follow established accounting
procedures, which means ledger books, internal audits, etc.

Jon