[TriLUG] making a disk image

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Feb 26 09:27:07 EST 2002

On 25 Feb 2002, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Hey, I'm curious if any of your out there have ever used any Linux
> software for making backup images of your file systems, perhaps
> something similar to Norton's Ghost software.  I would like to back up
> my Linux drives since I heard one of them making some rather unfortunate
> noises one evening.  I'm afraid that if I spin them down, they won't
> spin back up, and I would like to make decent backups before that
> happens.

If you're just interested in backing up the data (don't care about boot
sector, which you can always recover anyway), then "tar" will work just
fine.    Rean the man page for the appropriate options.  I regularly use
tar to backup partitions before repartitioning/etc, and it's perferctly
acceptable.  Shutdown any services or run from single-user mode for best
results.

--Jeremy

--
My New Year's Resolution is 800x600.