[TriLUG] making a disk image

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 26 09:09:49 EST 2002

Hello

Whoa dd.  That's low level.  I tired using dd to mirror hard disks, but if
my memory serves me right
it required as much disk space as your needed to mirror.  This is not a
problem if you are going
from drive to drive, but if you only have disk drive connection and you
need to swap out the src
drive to insert the dest drive you need the disk space for the intermediate
storage.

i.e. you dd a 1 gb drive, you need 1 gb to store the image.   Even if the
drive only has 20MB's of
files stored on it.  With tar, it will backup only 20MB's and then with
compression you might only
need 10MB's of disk space to store the image and not a whopping 1 GB.

One last thing, if you have two 1 GB drives and the number of sectors,
cylinders, and heads or
different (ie. different geometry), I don't think it works well.  Or, if
you have bad blocks on the destination
drive I'm not sure if it will use them or not.

i'm only sticking my neck out on this topic, because I'm not 100% about
this.  If you have different
experiences with dd, please correct me so I will know.

JD

Tom Bryan <tbryan at python.net>@trilug.org on 02/25/2002 02:35:14 PM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:    trilug-admin at trilug.org