[TriLUG] making a disk image

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Feb 26 08:40:32 EST 2002

El dia Monday 25 February 2002 10:45 pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:

> Hey, I'm curious if any of your out there have ever used any Linux
> software for making backup images of your file systems, perhaps
> something similar to Norton's Ghost software.  I would like to back up
> my Linux drives since I heard one of them making some rather unfortunate
> noises one evening.  I'm afraid that if I spin them down, they won't
> spin back up, and I would like to make decent backups before that
> happens.

Hey Ben!

I remember an article on PC Magazine about this kind of tools. The winner was
"dd".

Yes, "dd" was found better (on technical reasons) than Norton Ghost and
several others. It was able to do all what the others are able to do, and
even more!

And, of course, is OpenSource, comes with every Linux and the price is right.

Salut,
Sinner
--
"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!"